MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA
MEDIZINISCHE UNIVERSITÄT WIEN (MedUni)
If you start your PhD studies with Andrea Barta, Michael Jantsch, Javier Martinez, Walter Rossmanith or Matthias Schäfer we will register you for the PhD programme N094 at the MedUni.
Please check with the DK RNA Biology’s programme manager before sending any documents or if you have any questions.
For your first registration, the admission, with the MedUni you need to fill in the online pre-registration “Studierenden Voranmeldung” (don’t forget the password you set!!!) and provide the following documents:
- User form “Application for Admission”
- Form “Concept of a doctoral thesis project” – The data and signatures required within this form are provided by the supervisor.
- Copy of passport
- Portrait picture for student-ID
- High school (secondary school) leaving certificate
- Diploma of bachelor- and master studies
- Diploma supplement(s) and detailed, official transcript(s) of records about the completed studiest
- Eligibility Certification: Applicants with a non-EEA* citizenship have to submit an “eligibility certification” issued by the registrar´s office of any state-approved university in the country/state where the diploma/master has been issued confirming that the applicant fulfils the requirements for starting PhD studies in the country/state where the diploma/master has been issued. The “eligibility certification” must be no older than 6 months at the most! Instead of the “eligibility certification” there may also be submitted a diploma supplement (stating the fulfilment of the compliance with the requirements for starting PhD studies) issued by the university which awarded the diploma.
All documents must be provided in English or German and may need an authentication. Note that if your documents were not issued in English or German originally you need to have them translated by a certified translator and then authenticated.
You can read up the detailed information on the translation and authentication of documents here. The kind of authentication always refers to the state in which the document was issued. So if you lived and studied in different countries you may need different authentications for the single documents.
After the MedUni has processed your application you will receive the official letter of approval and the tuition fee payment information (currently EUR 385,- per semester).
You need to go to the Students Admission Office personally with this letter of approval and proof of payment to finalize your registration. You can also pay the tuition fee directly at the Students Admission Office – but only with a MAESTRO bank card (no cash, no credit cards).
Congratulations! You are now a PhD student at the Medical University of Vienna!
You have your student-ID, your MedUni student email address (n0123456(at)meduniwien.ac.at), and access to MedCampus (https://campus.meduniwien.ac.at/) the online system of organizing your student proceedings, eg registering for courses.
CO-REGISTRATION (Mitbelegung) with the UniWien
The curriculum of the DK RNA Biology is registered with the MedUni (Medical University of Vienna) and the UniWien (University of Vienna) – therefore we ask all our students to register with both universities. As you have your main registration with the MedUni, you will be co-registered with the UniWien:
Please fill in the online pre-registration (don’t forget the password you set!) and email your DK’s programme manager the following documents: copy of student-ID and your “Studienblatt” which you can download from your MedCampus account.
In the following semesters you only need to provide the new “Studienblatt”.
Your group leader and programme manager will provide you with the details of your thesis proposal which you must present at the end of your first semester.
The following 2 documents need to be submitted:
PROGRESS REPORTS (Fortschrittsbericht)
It is the PhD student’s responsibility to organize the PhD Committee Meeting once per year. To document this, please use the following “User form for the progress report meetings of the thesis committee“.
Please note that all your PhD Committee Members have to sign the progress report!!!
Make copies of these documents for yourself and give the originals to your DK programme manager.
The rules and guidelines on how to submit your doctoral thesis can be found here
Before arranging any conferences, workshops or external meetings please check with your group leader, DK programme manager, and secretary about your travel allowance.
Keep all original invoices (flight, train, conference fee, accommodation), boarding tickets, and your confirmation of participation for the reimbursement and submit everything together with the reimbursement form to the responsible administrative person.
For the reimbursement via the Medical University of Vienna, please use these forms:
“Freistellung”: Submit this form to your department’s secretary one week BEFORE your travel.